Thursday, February 22, 2007

Art With No Walls

The first thing I thought about when we got to the park was, "The only problem with art with no walls is the fact that there is nothing shielding me from the rain." I will be honest and say that I was wishing for the sun a lot of the time we were at the park but the more I think about it, the more I realize something. I realize that the weather is part of the art. It is part of the concept, "Art With No Walls."

Art within a museum doesn't really change. It is not meant to. It is meant to stay exactly as it was installed. Most of the time, the environment in which it is viewed will never change. The environment that we are in has a huge effect on us. So, with the ever-changing art of weather, we will never see these sculptures in the exact same environment. I think that's pretty amazing. It's almost like the art changes with the environment around it...completing a circle where the art is displayed exactly as it was meant to on that particular day.

As we leave the park, we can imagine the sculptures asking us to come back and see another side of who they are.

No comments: