Sunday, February 18, 2007

Too Bad


I don't know if blogger.com just doesn't like my mac, or vice-versa, but uploading pictures has proven to be extremely time consuming and generally unsuccessful. This reminds me of the Olympic Sculpture Park. I imagine that they opened it when they did to prompt the public to donate enough money so that they could finish it, however I think this was a poor decision. For the amount of hype that the park received, showing up at the park only to find that there were chain link fences, excavators, and large expanses of dirt covering the area, I found it difficult to appreciate the sculptures in their bleak surroundings. I found it depressing to know that this is the best they could do. Typical of Seattle to talk something up solely for the purpose of attaining funding and press.

This was my favorite sculpture in the park. I like the positive and negative space it creates from this angle. The only angle I enjoyed taking pictures of the sculptures from was pointing towards the sky, so you couldn't see all of the construction that surrounded these otherwise fantastic pieces of artwork.

1 comment:

CSumption said...

I'm sorry that you missed Wednesday's film about the planning for the OSP. Whatever your opinion of the final results, at least you would have seen the extraordinary idealism and optimism (not to mention generosity) that went into creating the sculpture park. It wasn't created in order to raise money and get press. In fact, the founding donors provided an endowment so that the park would be financially self-sustaining.