Tuesday, February 6, 2007

we could all use a little more library in our lives...

The new library is very big...it made me feel very small. I do like it though. Except for those scary escalators with the neon colors and the faces staring at you. Those I do not like so much. But like Shaun said, "Atleast this library has something for you to turn away from." I have to agree.

I really love how the new library is so tied to the community, especially the arts community. I appreciate all of the artwork that is incorporated into the structure of the building. One of my favorites art pieces was the foreign languages section which featured the floor with writing in all different languages. This really gave the building and the section a feeling of being bigger than ourselves. It reminds us that there is always more than what we understand and always more to reach for and more to learn about.

I was very impressed with the staff of the library as well. They all seemed extremely knowledgable, not just on the layout of the library but on life in general. They all seemed to genuinely care about the library and even more importantly, care about the people that walked in the door. I'm sure we've all been to those libraries and museums before where the people working there seemed to be more concerned about the scuff your shoe made on the floor than the knowledge you were taking from the organization. I did not feel that way at all at this library.

YAY for seattle public library.

No comments: